Thursday, April 24, 2008

That Terrible Premonition

I'm still haunted by yet another dream where I die while I'm sleeping. I've gotten one of those dreams every seven or eight years. I remember them all very vividly. I remember one when I was young where I took a shotgun blast to the face and it was so real I could taste the sulfur in my teeth. The dream I had the other night was just as vivid.

My dream started with me on a plane heading home. I had a feeling of accomplishment but that of loneliness as well. I could tell I was decked out in work clothes and I was blankly staring out of the plane. I remember hearing some really loud gasps and then a free fall ensued. I looked out the window and saw that we were going to smash into some trees. I braced myself against the airplane wall and was hurled into every imaginable direction. I woke up looking into the sky. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't move my legs or my arms. I tried to move anything but I couldn't. I could speak but just barely. I heard people running around scared and hurried. I kept trying all day to call to them to help me but no use. At one point I saw a helicopter over me and I knew I'd be alright but it only picked up the remaining survivors and took off. I felt very tired and worn out. I knew my body was broken and probably dying. I actually made peace with myself in my dream and drifted off into death. In my head I actually heard a voice tell me in the darkness of my mind, "I'm dead".

I awoke drenched in sweat and too panicked to move. I had to tell myself that is was a dream but it was hard because it felt so real. I couldn't sleep or dream for the rest of the night. I was exhausted the next day, like I had gone through some major ordeal. It was very surreal. Am I plagued by some unforeseen tragic death? Or is it merely my old life's layers peeling away?

No comments: