Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Good Trailer

I really enjoy trailers for movies. I almost enjoy them as much if not more than the movies. One trailer still sticks out in my mind. I'm not a big horror fan by any means and I haven't seen this movie but I do remember running across its trailer. After watching the short teaser trailer I had the worst sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. It doesn't use gore or graphic violence it just makes you uneasy. What you don't know is more terrifying than what you do know.

First you think it's really simple and not clever at all. The awkward camera angle almost looks amateur but then the song kicks in. The sound and lyrics are eerie in themselves and there is a definite sense of calm cruelty in the sound. You see a body bound and dragged by a faceless figure—a definite sense of impending doom. All of this is still typical...but wait. A large foot crunches in front of the camera and another figure starts marching forward. You notice a loose rope starting to pick up slack and that's when you feel it. The camera angle jerks as you realize that this isn't a camera angle...this is your view from a confined bag. You are ultimately placed in the horrific situation and a feeling of hopelessness continues as it ends. Enjoy.

No comments: