Sunday, June 8, 2008

By Whom All Women Thereafter Are Measured... "Part II"

I thought about her when it rained and when it snowed. I thought about her in the shower and when I watched certain movies. Over the years I'd ask my friends that went to college with her if they'd seen her. I'd ask them if she was doing okay and how she looked and they'd let me know. Unfortunately, for my fiancé I ran comparisons in my head between her and Crystal and how could anyone live up to the pedestal at which I put Crystal on. Halfway into my sophomore year in college I got a strange phone call. It was Crystal and it threw me for a loop. All sorts of emotions flooded my insides. We talked like we were still together in high school but when she wanted to meet... I felt I would get hurt again and it would mess up my relationship with Tiffany so I lied and told her Tiff didn't think it was a good idea.

Seven years had past after our last phone call and I had given up hope that I'd ever hear from her again. I was amazed to find one morning while checking myspace that there was a friend request from a Crystal. I debated whether to accept it or not but it didn't take long for me to click the appropriate button. As soon as I accepted her friend request I probed her bio and information. As I read her bio I slowly died inside. A couple of years before this chance myspace friendship she had gone through a pretty tough cancer battle. This is where you find out I'm not a doctor. Apparently, her main artery in her neck that ran down to her chest was being squeezed by a tumor. This caused insufficient blood flow and messed her up for a little bit. She triumphed over it but I had wished I was there to comfort her throughout it. It felt like a piece of me was neglected during a time at which she needed me the most. At this point I was already having issues with my marriage. Tiffany and I were contemplating separation and things were just not looking good. I was able to talk to Crystal on the phone a couple of times and again after so long it felt so comfortable. It felt as if we were stepping back into an old pair of shoes and we were just instantly drawn to each other. We talked about meeting up but it just never happened and we sorta' kept our distances from each other while I was trying to work things out with my wife.

No comments: