Friday, July 11, 2008

Everlast

Kick on your Itunes and sample the songs I mention in this post. You might just like what you hear.

I went through some older cd's and found all three of my Everlast albums. Most people remember "What it's like" a socially conscious song that came out during the rise of the backstreet boys, brittany spears and n*sync. I bought "Whitey Ford Sings The Blues" and instantly gravitated to the bluesy sound. I was not a big fan of his rap skills but could look past that. Eat at Whitey's came out a few years later. It was a descent album and have a few songs that still touch me today like "Love For Real" - featuring N'Dea Davenport. Nobody can sing about loneliness like Everlast in my opinion. Some other good ones to check out are "I Can't Move" "We're All Gonna Die". Then came "White Trash Beautiful" people were hesitant due to the name not wanting to be associated with the white trash idea. This was by far his best album and most heartbreaking. This album inspires me to do my art more than any other. This album might not seem like a concept album but it is through and through. It's about those less fortunate dealing with the same heartaches and loneliness we all deal with. It kicks off with "Blinded By The Sun" a beautifully rich intro piece. Then it goes into "broken" and I almost need to stop listening at this point because I feel it. Then it moves into "White Trash Beautiful" a modern day tale of love, somewhat uplifting. A few songs later he hits you with "Warning" showing the hypocrisy in every man's soul. Then comes the ultimate true story in "Angel" this one is very relatable to me. Now comes the saddened country ballad including rainfall "This Kind Of Lonely". If you haven't been won over yet "Soul Music" will do just that. "Lonely Road" is good and so is "Pain". Finally it ends with "Maybe" which isn't really an ending at all but after you've felt so saddened and fired up there's hope at the end.

Finally, here is his new single and it is phenomenal, a no holds barred approach to the war.

3 comments:

Artemesia Six Feet Under said...

On an Everlast kick much? ;)

Author said...

Yes, and then it will be over in a week.

Liz said...

...i still have my everlast cd that you told me i "needed" :) haha....