Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Inner Nerd

I'm such a nerd and I know it. I immediately came home today and jumped on the Xbox 360. My favorite game currently is Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare. The game is a masterwork of story telling, role-playing, and problem solving. It's bundled into an environmentally luscious pixelgasm full of rich graphics. One word describes the multiplayer experience, "Infinite." No multiplayer game ever feels the same as any other and therefore cannot be predicted. I'm sorta in awe of the sensation I get from playing this game. I can't sit and watch television for very long or read for an extended period of time. How is it I can get lost in a game for hours at a time and still be wanting more? 

"I scan the room quickly and bolt for the opposite door. I immediately force the claymore mine out of the satchel hanging from my waste. Two spiked metal tipped rods located on the bottom of the trip mine cut their way through the wood flooring. I then activate the laser trip lights onto the ground in front of me. I creep back over to the other door that leads to the staircase I traveled up from and proceed to set another claymore. I slowly move to the window that's positioned into the center of the room. The window calls to me, as if to say, I will be the looking glass to which the world sees you live or die. The camo painted barrel peeks out to greet the sun from the third floor window. Nobody noticed I'm here. I stare through the sniper scope and scan the area for possible entry points to this desolate utopia. A flash of burgundy catches my eye and in a split second I recognize it as an enemy bandana. I hold my breath and search for the strangers face. He looks intent as he creeps along stalking his prey. I find his temple and proceed to measure the speed at which he is traveling. I slowly squeeze the trigger and in a split second the man is a heap upon the earth. I took his life and his legacy. He is no more. I check the body one last time before I realize that there are two other men in close proximity now scanning their surroundings. I think to myself, what a fool. One of the two men decided to just kneel in the middle of the street. I control my breathing and steady my aim. He's down... liquid roses scatter the concrete around his head. No time to feel anything about it. At that moment I hear a blast, It occurs to me that they are now searching the buildings and apparently ran across my trip mine. I hope that got all of them because I can't do my job and watch my back all at once. A zipping noise shoots past my right ear followed by splinters scratching, digging, and gnawing into my cheek. The third soul must have located me. Good thing they didn't train him to aim properly. I reposition and pick him up in my scope. He's at a difficult angle so the only thing I can do is give myself a better shot. I have a clear line of sight to his right knee cap. I squeeze the trigger and another round belches from the chamber. The man immediately falls forward writhing in pain, another round releases and he is no longer feeling anything. A sense of pride overcomes me, but that is exactly the mistake I didn't need to make. How could I have not heard the footsteps. I immediately knew death was on me. A sharp pain hits my right kidney as the figure twists the knife. The man forcefully pulls me back from the window as I try to kick violently. I can taste the warm blood working its way up my throat. I can't control my limbs anymore and he recognizes that as I go limp. He consciously pulls the knife from my body and wipes the blood off onto my uniform. The man picks up his weapon and makes for the opposite side of the room. God, please let me live for a few more seconds. My prayer was answered with another loud bang. The other trip mine had dispatched my foe. There is a weird sulfur taste in my mouth and everything becomes black. My breath stops."

Some will see these games as nothing but glorified violence, others will see it as a recruiting tool. To me this game allows me to use my instincts and tactics to achieve certain goals that have rewards attached to them. To me, with this game, it feels like the opposite of reality. Sometimes in a game everything falls into place, sometimes in a game you can be a legend. I've never had that feeling in my life. I've never had luck. I've never overcome impossible odds or set new records. I was picked last in dodge-ball for good reason. Call me nerd but I'm really just a dreamer.

No comments: