Monday, February 25, 2008

No Sleep and a Hand Shake

I'm having a really tough time right now,  but my feline companion is getting suicidal. Toke (Tokyo) hasn't ate since she was dumped into her new home. I can't get her out from under the bed and she cries all night long. I haven't gotten any sleep, if she keeps it up I might have to put her in the basement. I'm really hurting for what she has to endure but I have to get sleep at some point.

With that said... today was especially rough. I got zero sleep last night and I had really bad acid reflux this morning. I almost didn't come into work, I knew that would come back to bite me later. The workload was rough and the meetings were all droll. I had a hard time keeping my head up. 

I finally got some reprieve when I found out I could get a discount at the YMCA downtown. I joined up and am hoping I make it in in the morning. On the way out though I was approached by the owner. He was a mid-thirties black man with a winning smile and a wonderfully positive attitude... it could only make me smile. He stuck out his hand and told me, "welcome." For the first time since the divorce has someone welcomed me. I reached out and gave him a hand shake. His handshake was soft and not at all what I was expecting. I then realized as I released my grip that I too had given him a flimsy handshake. That's when it dawned on me... a revelation! I given handshakes like I've lived my life. My life's been predicated on conforming to other's handshakes. If it's a hard handshake I reciprocate with a sturdy handshake as well. If it's a stylized handshake I mimic that too. What does this mean? As I thought about it some more, I figured out that I need to find my handshake. I just hope I can.

No comments: