Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Strange Fruit

Nina Simone is one of my favorite singers. I recommend you listen and learn more about her. I traveled to South East Missouri over Memorial Day. Where I go to visit my grandparents isn't but thirty or so miles from the Arkansas border. I saw imagery and heard words that brought this song to mind. If you've never heard "Strange Fruit" be prepared to swallow your thoughts because this is a very powerful song. This song and video's imagery can be disturbing—so fair warning. I do tear up every time because I just can't believe humans could have ever treated each other this way. Listen to the lyrics as the story plays out about how the fruit hanging from the trees turns out not to be fruit at all.



Nina Simone version:

Seven trees
Bearin strange fruit
Blood on the leaves
And blood at the roots
Black bodies
Swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hangin
From the poplar trees
Pastoral scene
Of the gallant south
Them big bulging eyes
And the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolia
Clean and fresh
Then the sudden smell
Of burnin flesh
Here is a fruit
For the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather
For the wind to suck
For the sun to rot
For the leaves to drop
Here is
Strange and bitter crop

No comments: