Friday, January 2, 2009

A little Romance Please With A Side Of Passion

One of my favorite movies and soundtracks has got to be Wicker Park. I've seen it many times and continue to listen to the soundtrack over and over again. I just can't seem to find that romantic side of life I love. Everything feels so rushed when it comes to dating, relationships, work, life. Maybe romance is only found when we slow down to recognize what we have...or what we don't have. So many times I revert to passion being something sexually animalistic in nature but that doesn't seem to be what passion is. Passion seems to me to be something more in the nurture realm. To take care of someone's needs can be the most passionate thing in a relationship. I think we as a society; especially our generation and younger, needs to examine just how we are killing romance and passion. I find that maybe, just maybe, had I grown up in an older time, I would've been better served as a man to have to "court" a woman. We all feel that we put forth our best effort when we go into a relationship but are we?

My grandfather used to tell us stories about how he walked from his naval base to see my grandmother. He would then take her on a date and she still remembers that he didn't have very much money but he tried to do something special for her each time. They'd share a sweet goodnight kiss and he'd walk back to the base in the dark. I looked up the towns and they were close to fourteen miles away from each other. He would mention later that his navy boots would wear out faster than most of the other seamen's. I greatly admired my grandfather for that. It sounded...romantic.

I'm not new to this idea, as a matter of fact I'm turned on by romance more than most but quick satisfaction seems to be taking over. How do we as a society confront that? or do we just go with it? Check this out for some instant romance.

No comments: